Jun 13, 2016

Second



Second.

I'm not your first. You aren't mine either. 
My tailoring business gives me enough to lead my life with dignity and provide a future to my son. 
I've never really felt a need of another man after my husband's demise. 
However, I'm moved by your gesture of accepting my son as your own. 
My son has agreed to call you 'father' after you met and coddled him. 
I can't thank you enough for giving him the happiness that was long lost. 
You decided to marry even sooner after meeting me.
I want to tell you that it's a courageous step for me to trust life again. 
It must be a bold decision for you too. 
We are ready to take up this leap of faith called marriage, again.
We'll vow to complete each other's lives soon. 
I want to congratulate you for this new life and new beginning. 
I'm a person who picks happiness from little things in life. 
I promise, I'll make sure we put our best efforts to make it a happy 'Second'!

- (written by my kid sister, inspired by a widow remarriage)




This girl/lady is a neighbor from my hometown. Coming from what they call the 'poor and backward section' of the society, she was hardly educated and married off at a very young age. She had a son soon after. The husband was a good fellow. However, the in-laws disowned her and her infant son as soon as the husband died untimely.
We always had good terms with this family and our hearts went out for her when she returned to her parents' home and started taking menial tailoring work to raise her son. She persisted and the boy now studies in 9th std.
In those small cities of northern India, its still very difficult for a woman to resettle in her life after divorce or widowhood. Naturally, we felt delighted to hear the news of her remarriage after more than a decade of single-handed struggle.

How I want the society to change for the better!




No comments:

Post a Comment