Apr 7, 2016

WWW - when we write



The pen is mightier than the sword.

I heard the above line for the first time at an age of 9. My brother was giving a powerhouse performance in a Hindi debate. The topic was "कलम तलवार से बलवती है- The pen is mightier than the sword". He was speaking for it.
I was in awe; sitting among hundreds of people, in an exhibition ground in my hometown. I enjoyed all the applause and attention with pride when Bhai received the first prize but was all puzzled inside. Reason was- firstly, I didn't understand the topic and secondly, I didn't understand what all the participants, speaking for and against it, meant by their speech.
I, expecting a lot from myself, didn't even ask anybody; instead decided to learn on my own. Having no Google back then, it took me some time.
Belonging to कलम-fraternity, I hope I have a fair idea about that statement at least now :).

Coming to the topic, pen or words have always had great influence on the society. However, I don't see bloggers having much social responsibility. But then we should NOT be socially irresponsible as well. Bloggers do have certain humane responsibilities. You can decide not to write about a controversial topic because you are not socially responsible to do so but in case you decide to write, be sensible. Write what you want to but don't be mean to others just to support your thoughts or accentuate your personal agenda.

Since blogging is individual's personal interest/hobby, they are NOT bound to blog in a certain way or fall in line. Its their own choice and inclination what do they write about, when do they write and how much do they indulge into it. We cannot expect bloggers to do something(without feeling for it) owing to social responsibility.

The reason and objective behind blogging is to express yourself and opine about things you think about. There is a difference between blogging and journalism.
IMO, the responsibilities bloggers should have are very generic- be just, well-behaved and humane!

If you write about social evils eg dowry, write fairly. Do not spare even your husband if he didn't oppose it or your own parents if they ever asked for it. No hypocrisy.
If you write about religion, don't try to prove yours is the best. Don't write to demean others' religion as long as its practice doesn't harm anyone. Understand.
If you write about your luxurious life-style don't look down upon not-so-privileged ones through your writing. Grace.
If you write about individual, stick to the facts and your understanding of it. Don't malign (even unintentionally) other's image based on fake data or imaginary incidents. Respect.


#ResponsibleBlogging

No comments:

Post a Comment